How to contact your MN Senator and MN Representative:
Find your MN Senator and MN Representative here.
- Send a written letter to your legislators. In the letter, share your story and ask for their support for future bills that supports struggling readers.
- Make an appointment to meet your legislators. This can be within your district at a local coffee shop, which can be less formal and less intimidating.
Here is general information about the legislative process and communicating with legislators.
How to reach out to your school (Principals, Special Education Director, School Board members):
- Continue to advocate for your children, talk to your schools about dyslexia and give them a copy of the paper produced by MDE called Navigating the School System when a child is struggling with Reading or Dyslexia. (Note that some statutes have been revised since publication.)
- Provide the statement released in October 2015 by Michael Yudin from the U.S. Department of Education clarifying that there is nothing in IDEA that prohibits the use of the terms dyslexia, dyscalculia, and dysgraphia in the IDEA evaluation, eligibility determinations, and the IEP documents.
- Provide the statement released in November 2015 by Michael Yudin from the U.S. Department of Education stating that children with disabilities must be held to high expectations and meaningful access to a State's academic content standards. The IEP must align with the content standards for the grade that the child is enrolled.
What Else Can I do?
- Follow us on Social Media @DyslexiaMN:
- Minnesota parents can join our Parent Support FB Group.
- Share this website with your family, friends, and school.
- Talk to your local library about doing a display of dyslexia books during October's Dyslexia Awareness Month (see books ideas under the Resource section).
- Make a donation to support our activities.
- Get involved at a local level:
- Get educated about Dyslexia - See Resource page.
- If you shop at Amazon, use Amazon Smile and make sure to select Decoding Dyslexia Minnesota. 0.5% of your purchase goes to us!