How to reach out to your School (Principals, Special Education Director, School Board members):
- Continue to advocate for your children, talk to your schools about dyslexia and give them a copy of the paper produced by MDE called Navigating the School System when a child is struggling with Reading or Dyslexia.
- Provide the statement released last October by Michael Yudin from the U.S. Department of Education clarifying that there is nothing in IDEA that prohibits the use of the terms dyslexia, dyscalculia, and dysgraphia in the IDEA evaluation, eligibility determinations, and the IEP documents.
- Provide the statement released last November by Michael Yudin from the U.S. Department of Education stating that children with disabilities must be held to high expectations and meaningful access to a State's academic content standards. The IEP must align with the content standards for the grade that the child is enrolled.
How to reach out to your Legislators:
Write a letter to your current MN State Senator and your MN House of Representative. Use this template(being revised) to write a letter sharing your personal story and DD-MN goals.
Here is general information about the legislative process and communicating with legislators.
You can find out who represents you at this link.
In unison we will make a louder voice as we advocate, educate and legislate!
What Else Can I do?
- Like us on Facebook and join our discussions.
- Share this website with your family, friends and school.
- Talk to your local library about doing a display of dyslexia books during October's Dyslexia Awareness Month (see books ideas under the Resource section).
- Make a donation to support our activities.
- Get involved at a local level:
- Get educated about Dyslexia - See Resource page.
- If you shop at Amazon, use Amazon Smile and make sure to select Decoding Dyslexia MN. 0.5% of your purchase goes to DDMN!